Teaching Online: BUILDEffective and efficient use of Canvas. Including:Specific to the learning management system, strategies for course construction, tools related to basic teaching activities such as grading, recording lectures, providing feedback, etc.
Building My Course
(Read Time: ~2 Minutes)
Not all online courses are created equal, even with a great learning design. As you build your course, consider how you can use specific elements of the learning management system intentionally, creating a supportive online course community, communicating to your students effectively, and presenting content in a manner that allows learners to move seamlessly through the course, easily finding what they need. Learning how to use Canvas Modules to organize a course, customize a home page, and manage files, pages, and assignments is a great first step.
The assessments you learned about and created in the DESIGN phase can also be brought into your course in a variety of ways. Canvas provides tools for sharing rubrics and peer review, as well as the basic mechanisms for collecting, grading and managing your assignments. The UD Online testing center also offers support for online exams.
- Assignments & Assessments
- Course Tech: Canvas
- Course Tech: UD Capture
- Course Tech: Zoom
- Online Course Design
- Online Course Management
- Student Success & Engagement
- Teaching Online Courses
- Training Opportunities
Visit ASSESS for a comprehensive list of current resources, tools, and options for assessing your course.
- Giving Exams Online: Strategies & Tools – Vanderbilt University, Center for Teaching
- UD Online Testing Center
- Tips for Exams and Alternative Assessments – Rutgers University
- Fourteen Simple Strategies to Reduce Cheating on Online Examinations
- Alternatives to Traditional Exams and Papers – Indiana University
- Alternatives to Traditional Testing – UC Berkeley
- Assessment & Proctoring Options for Online Courses
- Login to Canvas@UD
- Canvas Learning Center: This Canvas course is for faculty to learn how to get the most out of Canvas for teaching and learning.
- Canvas Faculty Quick Start Guide: This short, two-paged guide describes the tools needed to set up a basic Canvas course.
- Canvas Instructor Guide Table of Contents
- Canvas Video Guide Canvas video instructions.
- Login to Zoom via SSO
- Tips & Tricks: Teachers Educating on Zoom (2 page PDF)
- Comprehensive Guide for Educating Through Zoom (10-page PDF)
- Getting Started with Zoom (30 minutes): a high-level tour of Zoom and cover the basics you need to get up and running.
- Zoom Meetings Training (60 minutes): features applicable to Zoom Meetings and scheduling and hosting your meetings.
- Zoom Meetings for Education Training (45 minutes): teaching and learning in the Zoom classroom for students and teachers.
- How do I use Zoom in a classroom with remote students?
Visit Current Training Opportunities to learn more about additional programs and short courses that offer deep-dives into teaching and designing courses online.
- Canvas@UD Learning Center
- Canvas@UD Quick Start Guide
- Canvas workshops
- Pre-flight check: Moving from course preparation to take-off
- Up and Running with Canvas
- Take Your Canvas Course to the Next Level
- The New Canvas Gradebook
- Organize Your Canvas Course with Modules
- Canvas Assignments – More than the Basics
- Group and Collaborative Work in Canvas
- Canvas Tool-by-Tool Video Series
- Zoom Introduction
- Zoom Advanced Features
⇒ I got it! Take me to the next step. I’m ready to FILL my course with content.